Many models and actors, preparing for their head shot portraits, ask our Dallas headshot Photography studio about what to wear on the day of their shoot. So I thought I would put my Top Ten portrait photography clothing tips tips in this post:
1. Wear Mid-tones: Avoid stark black or white because they may cause lighting or contrast issues. Instead wear colors closer to your skin tone. This will help accentuate your natural features. We want to see YOU and not get distracted by what you are wearing.
2. Neckline: Is your neck short or long? A V-neck is good to visually lengthen a shorter neck. On the other hand, a round neckline shortens a long nck. A collar frames the face well, without decreasing the length of your neck. A collared shirt with a V-neck or a few buttons undone is most popular. Turtlenecks hide the neck, making your head look like it has been stuck on top of some fabric, so no turtlenecks.
3. Wear solid colors: No busy patterns or distracting clashing poka dots, big stripes — they all take the focus off of you and make your photos look has been in a hurry.
4. Glasses: If you wear glasses, go with frames only, no lenses; lenses can cause a glare or reflect the flash, ruining a perfectly good shot.
5. Personal: Wear something that makes you feel great and relaxed.
6. No Jeans: Jeans are a bit too casual. Try something more formal. Remember–you want to look extraordinary and have something to offer that the rest do not have.
7. No Leather: Leather says West Side Story or NYPD Blue and limits your potential audience.
8. No Jean Jackets: The eighties are over. Throw it away.
9. No Logos: You do not wnat to show any brand names or logos or writing on your clothing. Period. You are promoting You, not some other brand, and casting directors hate brands.
10. Wear Minimal Jewelry: Avoid distracting accessories. Again, it is all about you and your face. If you have a pierced ear, wear studs or small hoops. Ditch the necklace too as it will take the focus away from your face.
Dallas casting directors love our clean, marketable headshot photography as it brings out the best in you. Choose Portrait Photographer Dallas for professional digital headshot photography that leaves a positive impression. To book your headshot or portrait photography session, call our studio at 972-822-3587.